- Partner News
- Media Releases
- Mainstream News
May 12, 2021
CANSO – Fishers in Canso have been tying up and casting off from the Tickle Wharf for decades. They wanted it to stay that way, but a decision by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) to divest that property has taken that option off the table.
Robert Anderson, chair of the Canso Harbour Authority, told The Journal May 6 that his group wanted to maintain the lease system they had been operating under at the Tickle Wharf. If that was not deemed feasible, they wanted DFO “to give us the first offer, if it was going to divest.”
But that is not what happened.
“We found out last year they were talking about divesting of [Tickle Wharf] and that’s why I requested a meeting with [DFO],” said Anderson. “We did meet and I thought they might change their mind coming out of that meeting, but they didn’t. They said it would be divested of and it was going to First Nations.”
88 total views, 2 views today