- Partner News
- Media Releases
- Mainstream News
Contributor: Ravinder Tulsiani
Why most training initiatives fail & what you can do to maximize return on your training investment.Most companies want training programs that efficiently deliver the new knowledge in the least amount of time as possible to minimize disruption to their normal day-to-day operations.
Resulting from the need for efficiency, most trainers have focused almost exclusively on creating a training session or series of training sessions, in fact, trainers spend over 85% of their efforts on designing and developing the training event; this enables trainers to ensure that the material is delivered in the most compact way as possible and ensure the knowledge transfer occurs inside the classroom efficiently.
The problem with focusing on event almost exclusively is the long-term retention. Studies prove that less than half of the skills and information learned is transferred to the job immediately after the training session. Within 6 months, three-quarters of the information or skill is forgotten, and after one year employees retain as little as 10 to 15% of what they learned in the training session.
If you’re looking for better return from your training investment dollars, then consider breaking the event mindset and start thinking about the entire learning process.
the training event is only a part of the learning process. You should allocated no more than 60% of your efforts in the event itself; to increase the effectiveness and return on training investment, focus your remaining 40% of your time in developing post-training re-enforcement and follow up.
Post-training re-enforcement and follow up strategy can include providing resources to answer questions, additional reinforcement training sessions / stand ups, job aids, online resource, follow up on actions learners indicated they would take; any effort taken to reinforce the skill. You can also give employees who have successfully implemented new skill the opportunity to provide training.
Engage the immediate managers prior to training and encourage them to hold learners accountable for the new skills learned and recommend that they put in place rewards and incentives to encourage the new behavior. Encourage them to measure and monitor performance, because “what gets measured gets done.”
By having a solid post-training plan, you will exponentially increase the return on your training investment dollars. In fact, studies show that training combined with follow up and coaching increases effectiveness by over 80%.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
About the Author:
Ravinder Tulsiani is a a corporate leader, entrepreneur, and commanding public speaker. An author and highly effective business developer, Ravinder has written several self-help books and workplace training and development books. For recent books written by Ravinder, visit: http://www.goodreads.com/Ravinder_Tulsiani
328 total views, 2 views today