PM announces appointment for the Supreme Court of Canada
Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced the appointment of Mr. Justice Clément Gascon for the Supreme Court of Canada. Mr. Justice Gascon will fill the seat previously occupied by Mr. Justice Morris Fish. The appointment is effective June 9, 2014.
- Mr. Justice Gascon graduated from Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf (DEC, 1978) and McGill University with a Bachelor of Civil Law (B.C.L. 1981). He was called to the Barreau du Québec in 1982.
- Mr. Justice Gascon is currently a judge of the Quebec Court of Appeal, on which he has served since 2012. Before that he served as a judge of the Quebec Superior Court from 2002.
- During his career as a lawyer, he spent 21 years with the Montreal-based law firm Heenan Blaikie, specializing in civil and commercial litigation. He was also a lecturer in business law and labour law at the Cégep Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, at l’Université du Québec à Montréal, at McGillUniversity and with the Barreau du Québec.
- The Supreme Court of Canada is Canada’s final court of appeal. It serves Canadians by deciding legal issues of public importance, thereby contributing to the development of all branches of law applicable within Canada. The independence of the Court, the quality of its work and the esteem in which it is held contribute significantly as foundations for a secure, strong and democratic country founded on the rule of law.
- The Government’s consultations included the Government of Quebec, the Chief Justice of Quebec, the Chief Justice of the Quebec Superior Court, the Canadian Bar Association, the Barreau du Québec, and the Barreau de Montréal.
“I am pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Justice Clément Gascon for the Supreme Court of Canada. Currently a judge on the Quebec Court of Appeal, Mr. Justice Gascon’s wealth of legal knowledge and experience will be of significant benefit to this important Canadian institution. His appointment is the result of broad consultations with prominent members of the Quebec legal community.” –Prime Minister Stephen Harper
– See more at: http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2014/06/03/pm-announces-appointment-supreme-court-canada#sthash.vwmbhhBk.dpuf
509 total views, 2 views today