- Partner News
- Media Releases
- Mainstream News
Iqaluit, Nunavut, January 20, 2023 – The Qikiqtani Inuit Association (QIA) concluded their General Meeting of Members and a Board of Directors today at the Aqsarniit Hotel and Conference Space. There were a few notable resolutions passed at this meeting.
• Approval to enter a multi year contribution agreement with the Government of Canada to receive $25 million dollars to go towards further implementing QSTEP Programming
• Approval of approximately $46.8 million in Indigenous Community Infrastructure Funds to go towards 5 major infrastructure projects in the Qikiqtani Region.
• Approval to direct Hunter Support Grant funding to strengthen Nauttiqsuqtiit initiatives in the 5 Tallurutiup Imanga communities and to receive additional funding to expand Nauttiqsuqtiit to the remaining 8 Qikiqtani communities
• Approval to begin working with Oceans North Canada to create a Project Charter that will govern the Planning Phase of the Arctic Project for Permanence in the Qikiqtani Region
Nomination of Vice President and Executive Committee members also took place. Levi Barnabas will now be QIA’s Vice President until the 2024 Election, Jeremy Tunraluk was selected to take Mr. Barnabas’ position as Secretary Treasurer and the following members will also hold a seat on the QIA Executive and Finance Committee:
• Charlie Qumuatuq, Executive Committee Member
• Tommy Akavak, Executive Committee Member
• Peter Ivalu, QIA Finance Committee Member
• Stevie Aulaqiaq, QIA Finance Committee Member
For more information, please contact: Karen Flaherty Director, Strategic Communications Qikiqtani Inuit Association (P) 867.975.8398 or toll-free 1.800.667.2742
50 total views, 4 views today