Director of Operations
Director of Operations
Full-Time Permanent Salary Range: $110,000 – $130,000
Indigenous Screen Office
The Indigenous Screen Office (ISO) is an independent national advocacy and funding organization serving First Nations, Inuit and Métis creators of screen content in Canada. The ISO’s mandate is to foster and support narrative sovereignty and cultural revitalization by increasing Indigenous storytelling on screens and promoting Indigenous values and participation across the sector.
The ISO is a growing organization with an Indigenous team currently located in Ontario, Quebec, BC and Manitoba. ISO operates in a virtual office environment and applicants for this role can be based anywhere in Canada. ISO employees work from home or in shared office spaces in their home location. ISO offers a competitive salary and vacation time, a comprehensive health benefits plan and a pension program for employees.
Title and Responsibilities
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Operations is a new key leadership role at ISO that undertakes senior management of all ISO administrative activities, specifically overseeing the annual budget, managing contracts, HR administration, and other activities generally associated with the day-to-day operations. In addition to these core competencies, the Director of Operations has unique skills based in Indigenous knowledge and lived experience. They approach all aspects of their work in the spirit of Indigenous values including respect, reciprocity, relationship-building, and responsibility.
- Work with the CEO to strategize and develop long-term objectives that ensure new levels of productivity and success;
- Set strategic goals for operational efficiency and increased productivity;
- Analyze current operational processes and performance, recommending solutions for efficiency;
- Develop, implement, and monitor day-to-day operational systems and processes to provide visibility into the goals, progress, and obstacles of key initiatives;
- Draw on relationships with external partners, government agencies and vendors to make decisions regarding operational activity and strategic goals;
- Work with key departmental staff to develop and implement quality measurement/evaluation of services in all areas of responsibility;
- Plan, monitor, and analyze key metrics for day-to-day operations to ensure efficient and timely completion of tasks;
- Generate and manage partner and vendor contracts for the organization;
- Support grant writing and fundraising documentation, proposals and reporting as needed.
- Work with the CEO and Finance Manager in the development of financial and budgetary plans including quarterly budget projections;
- Working with the Finance Manager, develop and maintain a sound plan for all areas of financial and administrative areas of responsibility;
- Support the annual audit process and filings of tax returns, working with the Finance Manager.
- Develop official internal documents such as offer letters, salary adjustments, leave of absences, etc.;
- Oversee contracts with third-party administrators of pension and benefit enrollments, changes, and terminations;
- Uphold the organization’s policies and standards, while ensuring legislative compliance;
- Review, build on and enhance the current performance management system;
- Maintain files for employees and their documents, including benefits, attendance records, vacation and annual reviews.
Government Relations and Reporting
- Develop relationships with core funder, Canadian Heritage, ensuring compliance with the terms of our contribution agreement, and supporting negotiation of future iterations;
- Manage reporting and compliance with all government and non-governmental funding partners.
- Assist as needed with the execution and of special projects.
- Remain current on changes within the legal, regulatory, economic and technology environments, which may affect the financial and administrative operations of the organization.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Minimum 5 years of financial and operational management experience, including compliance and reporting; contract negotiating across multiple programs;
- Minimum 5 years in a leadership capacity, successfully managing and developing strong teams;
- Superior knowledge of multiple operational functions and principles, including finance, human resources, and employee management;
- Proven ability to plan and manage operational process for maximum efficiency and productivity;
- Strong exposure to the Employment Standards Act, Labour Laws, Human Rights Code, and Occupational Health and Safety;
- Strong proficiency in MS Office applications, & Cloud applications, as well as experience working with accounting and payroll software and information management;
- Thorough knowledge of the history and current state of a variety of Indigenous arts in Canada and of the trends and new developments in the arts;
- Strong understanding and knowledge of challenges facing equity-seeking communities, contemporary arts, heritage and cultural issues in Canada;
- Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset;
- Knowledge of local media landscape and film/television industry considered an asset.
In accordance to Section 24 of the Ontario Human Rights Code, the selection will be limited to Indigenous applicants. Candidates from this group must self-identify.
Your application must include:
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position including your experience working with Indigenous communities or in-depth knowledge of Indigenous governance, administration and/or policy issues through lived or learned experience.
- A CV/resumé
No phone calls, please.- Applicants with disabilities who are qualified and selected for an interview will be accommodated upon request.
Indigenous Screen Office wishes to thank all those that apply, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indigenous Screen Office is an equal-opportunity employer. Please send all applications to [email protected]
Deadline: Open until Filled.
132 total views, 2 views today