Halifax (Kjipuktuk) is hosting the 2023 North American Indigenous Games (NAIG 2023) July 15 to 23, 2023, which was postponed in 2020. NAIG 2023 will welcome approximately 5,000 Indigenous participants from across Turtle Island (North America) to participate in the largest multi-sport gathering in Atlantic Canada of Indigenous people since contact. NAIG 2023 has the opportunity to have about 3,000 volunteers in a celebration of Indigenous sport and culture across 17 sports and 7 days of cultural celebrations. NAIG 2023 is organized and executed by the NAIG 2023 Host Society, who is a not-for-proft organization and the employer of this opportunity.
Reporting directly to the Director of People, the Volunteer Manager is responsible for leading the Volunteer department to create a successful and meaningful volunteer program for the 3000+ volunteers that will ensure the services and needs are met and exceeded for all NAIG 2023 participants.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing, implementing and executing strategic recruitment plans in conjunction with the Marketing and Communications department.
- Engage with the department Directors and Managers to ensure the volunteer program needs and numbers are being met and justifed in all Functional Areas of the games.
- Recruiting, on-board and integrate Chair and Lead Volunteers into their Functional Areas
- Create and implement the Orientation, Cultural and role specifc training is completed for all volunteers.
- Responsible for creating a process to screen applicants and appropriate role assignments made in accordance with overall needs requirements.
- Manage the volunteer department staff to meet organizational and departmental deadlines and goals.
- Manage GemsPro volunteer database; schedule creation, individual profle management, document control and email contact structure.
- Create a comprehensive accreditation structure and program, ensuring access is clear across all zones of NAIG 2023.
- Develop, implement and enforce Volunteer and Workforce Policy & Procedures.
- Develop the volunteer recognition program.
- Plan the end of games Volunteer appreciation party.
- Participate and/or host at/with volunteer drive, partnership events or with relevant organizations to recruit volunteers.
- Assist business partnerships to create a volunteer policy within their organization.
- Other duties as reasonably required. Due to the nature of our organization, and especially during the time leading up to, and during the actual Games, all staff will be required to act in capacities beyond their formal job description.
- Experience as a senior manager with recruitment and orientation of large groups/events.
- Experience working with and preferable as a volunteer on large multi-faceted projects.
- French Language skills are considered an asset.
- Eligible to work in Canada.
Technical/ Job Specifc
- Exercise administrative judgment and assume responsibility for decisions made within the confnes of the operating plans and budget.
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Suite and Google Suite.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Being a forward facing promoter of the games and the volunteer experience.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team work ethic.
- Ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
- Must be a self-starter who can work independently and have good decision making skills.
- Anticipated start date: Early January 2022
- Flexibility in hours, as there will be expectation for some evenings and weekends
- Participating in volunteer engagement settings
- Own reliable transportation required, including a valid Class 5 license
- Satisfactory criminal record check and Child Abuse Registery Check must be provided prior to the commencement of the contract.
Analytical Thinking, Decision Making, Networking/Relationship Building, Managing Change, Values & Ethics, Valuing Diversity, Teamwork & Cooperation, and Organization and Planning, Adaptability & Flexibility
Work Status: Temporary full time contract up to August 2023.
Hours of Work: 35 hours a week and must be willing to work a fexible work schedule.
Salary: $55,000 – $65,000 per annum.
Closing Date: Applications will be received up to midnight on Nov 26, 2021
Candidates are encouraged to self-identify in this recruitment process under any of the employment equity groups. Preference will be given to applications from qualifed Indigenous/Aboriginal persons.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with the recruiter when invited to the recruitment process.
To apply or any questions regarding this position can be directed to Laura Seaboyer at Careers@naig2023.com
Please note: We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for interview/testing will be contacted.
232 total views, 6 views today